Thursday, November 29, 2007

And Now, Back By Popular Demand - Sharon Lois & Bram!

I forgot - which one quit the music business: 50 cent or Kanye West?

That's what I thought.

The music business - hell, the entertainment business - is so stupid.

I'm looking at a recent copy of Rolling Stone that someone at work left on their desk, and inside there's a photo of Eddie Van Halen on stage at a recent show. The caption reads - get this - "Atomic Punks". WTF !??!!?

Yeah, we all remember Van Halen back in '77 playing Rock Against Racism gigs at Mabuhay Gardens, sharing the stage with The Slits and The Clash. (do I have to say "not", cliche watchers?) They are about the most NON-punk band I can think of, besides every other metal hair outfit from back then.

The fact that the term "shred" pretty much = Eddie Van Halen should give you some idea how wrong it is to use the words "punk" and "Van Halen" in the same sentence, unless of course when you say punk you're discussing Ed's mosquito chasers.

How pathetic it must be to see these 50 year old guys prancing around the stage singing that they're "hot for teacher". I guess it's only about 10 years less disgusting as some pension-eligible guy yelping "I'm gonna give you every inch of my love" - because that's certainly gonna happen in your town in a few months.

And since Led Zeppelin came up, what is up with Robert Plant's hair? Has he checked a mirror? His once Raphaelite tresses now look like some homeless guy got caught in the rain. And you wanna give me every inch of your love? Help, police!

Yeah, I know it's all about reliving your youth, because its so fleeting. I'm always disappointed with the second coming of some quaint relic. Out of the numerous icons from my youth that I've seen in their golden years, only Bob Dylan, ? & The Mysterians (I shit you not) and the great Ray Davies haven't disappointed. Oh, and of course Neil Young (who will never get old).

And The Sex Pistols are coming around AGAIN?? The first comeback they said yeah, the bread's too good to turn down. And I applauded them for that. Now it's down to "we do it better than anyone else". Er, not really, not anymore, pops. Maybe when you were 20, but what's edgy & punky at 20 is downright pathetic & sad at 50. (I'm thinking New York Dolls reunion. Nothing's worse than an old worn out tart.) What, you still have something to say?

Flipping through this magazine, I see: John Fogerty, Lou Reed, Tom Petty, Springsteen, Axl Rose (what's he doing in a music magazine?), the Police of course, and Neil Young.

Oh, did I mention that on the cover it says "THE 2007 HOT ISSUE"?

3 comments:

BDH said...

"Atomic Punk" is a famous Van Halen song.

The Intl said...

BDH, that makes me laugh even harder!

Anonymous said...

We still like seeing the has beens. It's hokey, but even they seem to know it. It's usually fairly fun and it really doesn't seem all about money with some of them - they just want to play.

What I find FAR more distressing are the countless irrelevant lefties who think they know anything/everything about politics, climate change, the world and what the rest of need to do about it. I wish they'd all shut up and learn how to play an instrument better than I can. ARTEESTS ...