Friday, November 23, 2007

And another thing ...

People are idiots.

People are setting up tents at big box stores to buy attractively priced christmas gifts. I hope these same items are on sale for much less later in the season.

I remember going to Best Buy at midnight when the 1st Beatles Anthology CD came out. Why? I don't know. But I sure didn't camp out. I wouldn't even camp out to see John Lennon in person. Ask me when was the last time I played Anthology 1. Who knows?

On our way to Thanksgiving dinner at my brother & sister-in-laws, the local white suburban housewife radio station (you know, the one with the banal & insipid morning show. Still don't know which one? I see your point.) that started playing strictly Christmas music on November 1 played, well, lets just say eight songs. Five hours later, on the return trip, we hear four of those same songs. And different versions of two of the others. Now you can probably buy at least 60 years of Christmas music. Why do they repeat the same crappy songs over and over? I know I can turn the radio off, but my wife wants to hear Christmas music. At home, we have close to 100 Christmas discs. This fact she does not appreciate. Facts I am proud of: we do not have "It's The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year" by Amy Grant, which that station played during each trip, and Amy's vocal is the most phoned-in crapfest I've ever heard, and believe me I've heard (and loved) crapfests. Also we do not have "Little Drummer Boy" by Bob Seger. That song alone is reason for all Seger fans to put a silver bullet through their collective heads. At home we have really good Christmas music by Louis Prima, Charlie Parker, Bob Marley, Keith Richard, and many many more. My wife wants Johnny frikkin' Mathis. I want Johnny frikkin' Mathis, too - to finally come out and say "I like Senator Craig". Put some bells and a string quartet behind that.

People are going to give me lots of fodder this season. The campers are just the beginning.

No comments: