Thursday, January 31, 2008

WAIL !!

First off, I think I messed up the connection between the photos I used on this page & my PC. I guess I over-deleted files, but I thought when I uploaded to the web they were out there. To quote Brian Wilson, Guess I'm Dumb.

Let's move on.

'Member when I told you about Frantic Ernie? Faithful reader Fat & Sassy sent me a link to an aircheck of Ernie D's show back in 1958. What's an aircheck, you ask? Well I'll tell you. Right now. In radio biz, tapes are made of an hour or 30 minutes or whatever of certain radio shows to see what the broadcast sounds like, to check for technical things or more often to review in much the same way an athlete reviews tapes of games. So here's 9 minutes of Frantic Ernie's show, back when he was doing shows both on WJLB Detroit and WBBC Flint. (Flint?!?)

http://rockradioscrapbook.ca/erniedurham.ram

Did you hear the "great googa mooga shooga wooga" towards the end? Yep, that's where I got it from! Yeah, I know, he sounds kinda tentative at times, but the world moved a bit slower back then.

OK, now here's another real gem: an aircheck of Alan Freed from 1955 in New York! Yes, Alan Freed! 1955! New York! Can't get much rock'n'roll than that! And in 1955, it had been just a year since Elvis first set foot in a studio. Think of last year. Looking back on things, that's not too far back. So things were still reall new. None of this kinda stuff existed a year earlier.

http://rockradioscrapbook.ca/freed-mar55.ram

I hope these links work.

It's too bad radio doesn't have this kind of personality nowadays. You can find it in isolated instances. I keep tellin' ya, go on the web to WFMU.ORG and check out their shows, either live or archived. Dave The Spazz (my favorite), Teenage Wasteland, Fool's Paradise, Downtown Soulville, Gaylord Fields, Bob Brainen, Three Chord Monte, man there's a lot of stuff there to check out. And you should.

Hope you dig the airchecks. It's been a real pleasure, treasure.

1 comment:

fat 'n sassy said...

hey, i'm giving up bread, chips & chocolate for lent. maybe by easter i can be known as "plump & sassy"!