Tuesday, January 1, 2008

That Was Then; This Isn't

2007 is over. Rodney on the Roq was boring (see previous post). New Years Eve was too low key, except for the ride home due to the crazy snow. I came home & went down into my dungeon/pad & put on my new xmas headphones & played me some "best of 2007" music. It went something like this, in no order that I can remember:

Sloan - Ill Placed Trust (never hear the end of it)
Von Sudenfed - Flooded (tromatic reflexxions)
Amy Winehouse - Valerie (Andy Cato's 'Pack Up & Dance' remix)
Of Montreal - Faberge Falls For Shuggie (hissing fauna)
The Long Blondes - Only Lovers Left Alive (someone to drive you home)
The White Stripes - Bone Broke (icky thump)
The Woggles - It's Not About What I Want (rock & roll backlash)
The Black Lips - Cold Hands (good bad not evil)
The Red Button - Cruel Girl (she's about to cross my mind)

That's about it. I got tired.

There was a lot of good music that came out this past year. None of it was Fall-Out Boy crap or American Idol alumni or weapon brandishers. I don't know if there was an actual album of the year thing. I guess if pressed I'd have to pick Amy Winehouse, but actually I think it came out in 2006 in the UK. And I think some definite shark-jumping has taken place, because if you go to Amazon, you'll see there's even a "smooth jazz salutes amy winehouse". Assholes.

Here's two from 2007 that people pissed their pants over, but take it from me you should stay away in droves: Neon Bible by Arcade Fire - who needs yet another sucky second rate Talking Heads? Isn't Interpol more than enough? Then there's Rilo Kiley's Under The Blacklight. Every single review says how they were influenced by Fleetwood Mac, like that's a good thing. Guess most people are too young to know that Fleetwood Mac (the LA cokeheads, not the UK blues band) were the devil incarnate back in 1977, peddling their west coast fuzzy adult rock while The Clash, The Buzzcocks & The Ramones couldn't get played on the radio to save their soul. I don't forget easily.

I was watching two incredibly lame shows on HGTV today, and both actually provided me with a kinder, gentler way of saying "your (fill in the blank) is ugly as shit" and now I'll pass that along to you:

TASTE-SPECIFIC

Now tell me you wouldn't be able to use that one about every two minutes! But if that popped up on two shows on the same day, it must already be a widely used cliche. It's just a matter of time before I hear someone at work use it.

Here's hoping your taste-specific life goes well in 2008.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ill Placed Trust is my favorite Sloan song by far. I am sure some would say that it is "taste-specific", but I say "good choice".

Gunbuster said...

I did my 2007 music awards last month on myspace.

New album: Stars - In Our Bedroom After the War

Rediscovered album: Was (Not Was) - What Up, Dog?

Concert: Stars

Concert runners up: Lollapalooza (I'm from Barcelona and Daft Punk) The Police & Rilo Kiley

New artist: I'm from Barcelona

Most missed (band breakup): Jupiter Sunrise

Overjoyed they got back together: Young Heart Attack

Single: Stars - My Favourite Book

New album total disappointment: The Stills - Without Feathers

Longest album name: Electric Six - I Shall Exterminate Everything Around Me That Restricts Me From Being The Master

I'm mad at you because you didn't play in the D this year: Arcade Fire and Danko Jones.

Free show: The Hush Sound