Wednesday, December 19, 2007

No One Would Understand

I wasn't going to write about this, but ...

(every post should begin that way. In fact, it does, it's...implied)

Leaving work yesterday I passed a cubicle that had a humorous (to someone I suppose) sign on the overhead bin, one that I've passed every day for years. But for some reason this time it made me think.

It said "Female Chauvanist Pig".

Here's the thing: I find that as offensive as a sign that says "Down With White People" in a black person's cube.

Yes, we have established the fact that "woman is the ni@@er of the world", according to John Lennon, and unfortunately society is essentially a boy's club. But if a man had a "male chauvanist pig" sign in his cube, every woman would think...well, they would think exactly what they should think about that. What everyone should think about that.

And here's the camelback-breakin' straw that really made me put mitts to keys about this.

Driving home today I was behind a big white pickup truck (ha ha, you know what I mean when I say ha ha don't you, whoever you are) that had a sign on the back window:

IT'S A TRUCK THING. YOU JEEP FAGS WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND.

And "fags" was in very frilly lettering.

This makes my point (and I do have one, somewhere) ever so clear: people are the stupidest creatures on the planet.

Now, granted, I hate a lot of shit. And I'm probably the king of knee-jerk reactions. But I also have a certain respect for peoples' personal beliefs and well being. I feel people have a right to pick their favorite god, or suck whatever floats their boat, or vote for whomever they choose even though they are probably wrong and their decision will screw up billions of people for years to come, among other things which are truly no one's business. But when I see ignorant shit like this bumper sticker (actually, it wasn't a bumper sticker; it was like custom made vinyl letters that covered almost half the back window), well, it makes me want to "thumb my nose" (yeah, that's nice & safe) at everyone who says I'm too blunt or that I have "some nerve". There are bigger threats than my idiotic rantings. And there are bigger threats than the stupid woman in that cube or the asshole in that truck. But we gotta start somewhere.

I'm not suggesting cultural cleansing - that would be very badass though, wouldn't it? - but people need to get it together. Seriously. I caught some of the Ford Theater Xmas thing on TV & it made me ill seeing Washington's choicest assholes sitting there in their finery. OK, I'm going off on a tangent, and I probably sound like an Air America radio program. It's Xmas after all, so let's just breathe deeply & relax & do a shot & deck some halls & go a-wassailing.

Then, after a few more shots, let's go kick the shit out of cube-girl & homophobe truck-boy!

No comments: