Wednesday, December 26, 2007

45 RPM spin-o-rama!

So this was Christmas, and what did you get?

Yes, the dulcet tones of Yoko Ono & John Lennon are still ringing in my ears as another Xmas has come and gone. And, sadly for you, dear reader, I may not be blogging as often as I have been because one of my many boss gifts was a USB turntable. Do you know what this means?? It means that I will be transferring hundreds of lps and thousands of singles from vinyl to digital media, that's CDs for those of you who need clarification! I expect this to take me two or three days. Ha ha, not really, more like most of 2008. At least. And so help me Jean Dixon I predict that the new year will see me involved in many more arguments because I will become obsessed with this transfer project, likening it the Mona Lisa teeth whitening restoration. Because people - that is my wife and probably anyone else I know - will become fed up with me because I can't attend weddings or bar mitzvahs or take out the garbage because I'm still painstakingly remixing side two of The Charlie Parker Quintet's One Night In Birdland set. C'mon, it was done with a wire recorder on location in 1953! You do want to hear how good a bass player Curley Russell was, don't you?

So this wasn't the only thing Xmas brought my way. I saw happy smiles dance across the faces of famiy members as the season brought forth tidings of comfort and joy (note: do not try drinking southern comfort and joy dishwashing lotion, unless you have to) and every walkable wonderland became winterized. So Xmas brought me a lot of crap to clean up afterward. But it was worth it. Because very soon all my Federal and King sides by The Midnighters will be on one badass CD, as well as my import punk 45s from 1977 and the off the wall 60s garage stuff and my 12 inch dance singles from the 80s and not too much from the 90s because by then it was already on CD.

But as we all know, Christmas is a time for giving, not receiving. And I'm glad that I was given a USB turntable because now my James Brown Xmas lp will be on CD, and remixed for maximum holiday Godfatherness, and it will sit proudly in the jukebox playlist rotation for next Xmas, along with an absolutely unhinged rocking version of Merry Xmas Baby by Dead Ike & Tina Turner and Brenda Lee's Cajun Bayou nugget Papa Noel. And even Count Scary. Yes, Count Scary. Now that he's out of a job, he's cool again.

And truthfully, the turntable is not the only thing I got. I also received a lot of nice things to wear while I'm burning the first Elvis album MINUS THE FAKE ECHO, IF YOU PLEASE. And some new headphones, so I can accurately balance and re-equalize The Stooges Raw Power, to my own personal preference.

And I've made some new year's resolutions, too. First off, I'm going to be more sensitive to people's feelings. Do they want to hear the superior mono version of Sgt Pepper, or would they rather I put on the UK version of the first Strokes lp? The new kindhearted me will let them decide.

And furthermore, I'll make a conscious effort to eat healthy and exercise. Right after I burn my Fortune Records 45s.

And I'll probably drink alot more. Why not.


I gotta go buy some blank CDs, jewel boxes. labels and ink. See you later.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad your gift will be a benefit not only to you, but the world around you will be a better place for you having recieved it.

Sparty0526 said...

so....do you like the USB Turntable? we still are not sure...

fat 'n sassy said...

happy new year! will talk to you in about 6 months from now, i imagine!

p.s. love your photo accompanying your profile....
but you should wear your veil to cover your, er, ears.