Friday, February 29, 2008

Yo Yo Yo ...


I've had nothing of importance to say. And while that may be the case for every other posting that I've ever posted, that is simply the reason why I haven't posted in...well, I guess it's only been a week or so.


But what I can do is update you on some things.


Remember the "Female Chauvinist Pig" sign I ranted about awhile back? It's gone. In fact, it looks like the person is gone, like the cube's been evacuated, or drastically cleaned up. I say good riddance to bad rubbish!


I read today that Amy Winehouse is back on the stuff, after what was supposedly only 10 days of cleanliness. They say she was high at the Brit Awards. I saw a rebroadcast of that show on CBC, and she DID look either extremely stupid or ... yeah, high. I badly wanted to think the former. I still don't (want to) believe it. And I still say screw Natalie Cole.


New on the GGMSW jukebox: "Mercy Beat" by The Better Beatles. Originally recorded in 1982, these are very ... unconstructed versions of 10 Beatle tunes that sound absolutely like no Beatles tune I ever heard. It's GREAT! Get it at http://www.hookorcrook.com/ .


IF YOU ARE READING THIS BEFORE MARCH 2 AT 5PM : WFMU is in the midst of their fundraising drive, which is actually FUN to listen to, and I actually might give 'em some money this year. Take THAT, WDET!! Anyway, on the Gaylord Fields show at, like I said, 5pm on Sunday March 2, Yo La Tengo will be in the studio, as they are every year, playing instant requests from money donators (is that a word? why can't I think of the term for money donators?). Anyway, what they do is, when someone calls in with a pledge, they can request ANY SONG and Yo La Tengo WILL PLAY IT!! LIVE!! They actually released an album a few years back called Yo La Tengo Is Murdering The Classics, which collects about an hour's worth of their efforts. A lot of wonderful things on it - "You May Be Right" by Billy Joel, The New York Mets Theme Song, "Captain Lou" (about wrestling illuminary Captain Lou Albano) and more. I think it's available from their website http://www.yolatengo.com/ . Get It!


Next weekend is the 11th Annual Metro Times Blowout in Hamtramck. Looks like I'll be going on Saturday, looking forward to seeing Scott Morgan's Powertrane, who were the best thing I saw last year, and Mitch Ryder. He better be good, and he better bring it! Also on the schedule, among others, is the Muldoons, with whom quite frankly I am fed up. They finally released their album, produced by - surprise - Jack "sun block 150" White, and it's on vinyl only!! I mean, c'mon, give me a break!! Those damn kids can get quite tiresome with that noise after 10 minutes, and if they weren't so young & precocious (and so connected to Uncle Jack) they'd have to work twice as hard to gain the following they've amassed. I'd like to own that album, (at least download it for free from some blogsite), but they better get it together. They've put out a product that none of their classmates can even use! Was that the point? Bad marketing!

No comments: