Monday, December 15, 2008

How I Spent My Weekend


Many things happened over the two day respite we call the weekend. It went like this: Escaped massive layoffs at work. participated in various phone related things, including new cell phone for me and the wife, new home phone number, five new phones for the new phone line. Completed my xmas shopping. Watched six xmas movies. Put my new Godzilla xmas ornament on the tree: perfect! TV service went out. Internet went out. Washing machine died. Resented numerous people for various reasons.

And man oh man, has here been a run on cemetery plots lately! Check out this list of recent obit column subjects: Robert Prosky, who was the old Hill St Blues cop (do it to them before they do it to you") and most recently a judge on Boston Legal; Beverly Garland, who played the newly minted wife with a precocious daughter on the last season of My Three Sons; Sunny Von Bulow, who's husband was tried for attempted murder (of HER!!); Ron Carey, who had bit roles in Mel Brooks movies & was the underachiever cop in Barney Miller; Van Johnson, he of old musical & non-musical films, and showed up from time to time on Love Boat; and, finally Miss Bettie Page - I thought she already was dead!

Consumer alert: I mentioned that I saw some xmas movies- well one was Steven Colbert's Christmas Special. I like him a lot, but here's where his over the top auto-consumerism schtick goes beyond clever: His xmas special aired just one night, and the next day it was released on dvd, never to be aired again. I thought his book (I Am America And So Can You) was brilliant. The special, however, was pure shit. I wasted $15. He should stick to reading lines behind a desk (which he does better than anybody else). The writers of this special (undoubtedly he was one of them) should get coal in their stocking. So anyway, don't buy it. You can borrow mine.

Hey, y'know what some of the best albums of the year were? You will soon enough.

No comments: