Monday, June 16, 2008

Soul Power


The title has nothing to do with this post (at this point); it's just that I was listening to "Double Barrel" by Dave Barker & Ansell Collins, a fantastic rocksteady scorcher from late 60s JA (did I squeeze in enough superlatives?), and one of Dave's toss-in remarks was "soul power!" So it hit - and stuck with - me.


Which reminds me: ever go to the "Roots Rock Reggae" website?




You can listen to classic reggae all day & nite, with no interruptions. And it's none of the present-day crap that is so damn dire & US (read hippity-hoppity)-influenced. So it's non-stop ska, rocksteady, dub, rockers, lovers rock ... turn it up loud & open a Red Stripe: it's HOT in here!


As the kids all know, summer has its own soundtrack, and it's all very feel-good. splashy-splashy and breezy-cool (daytime) or sticky-hot (darktime). I discount it the rest of the year, but as the weather warms up I (slightly) embrace that leisure-based playlist. I can even tolerate Brian Wilson's beachy crap. And, to be sure, Jamaican music is an absolute must in the summertime.


I don't wanna write anymore. I wanna wriggle my toes in the sand.

2 comments:

fat 'n sassy said...

sand between the toes is o.k. sand between the cheeks is another matter.

Anonymous said...

Summer? Every time I look it can't break 80 - RUN, RUN far away!
Meanwhile, I be blacker than our next president ...