Thursday, January 1, 2009

Calendar Boy


OK, let's get back to our regular scheduled lives. Another day, another half-dollar. Little by little the crap TV shows are showing new episodes again. Certain life indicators get reset, like vacation days and authorized vision coverage. Year end lists should be just about over now. As for resolutions, who cares, they'll mostly be broken anyway. Live. Just live for life.


I was going to make an attempt to stop pointing out the significant deaths, but you can't control that. You can only control what you report. Like you don't need me to tell you Jet Travolta's dead, but I'm pretty sure you need to know jazz great Freddie Hubbard is.


I watched three absolutely horrible movies this weekend. The missus was sick, so it was x-chromosome-a-go-go at the video store. Do not watch these: The Women; Then She Found Me; Miss Pettigrew Lives For A Day. I wish I liked thick-necked dude flicks or insipid gen-x crap because there is nothing out there for me, and there's no shortage of that. Actually, I'm satisfied watching The Ramones doc again for the umpteenth time.



I've been recording Bravo's Spectacle series hosted by Elvis Costello. He's a fairly decent interviewer, and of the episodes I've seen so far, Elton John has been the best - not really a surprise, he's a well known music fanatic, so he has an obsessive perspective on stuff. The Bill Clinton episode seemed too forced, he's smooth enough but there was an unnatural emphasis on music. You'da thought he was as obsessed as I am, and I know that can't be so. But to his credit, he acknowledged Trane, Stan Getz & Ray Brown, & admits to following off-the-beaten-path jazz. The worst: Lou Reed, who I'd truly like to punch out, and James Taylor, who apparently has never spoken in public before. I've yet to watch the Tony Bennett episode, who I'm sure has some ace stories, but I've seen him on TV before, and he also can't speak. If this is renewed for another season, they should try to round up Costello's past-collaborators as guests, McCartney & Burt Bacharach. Bowie'd probably be good, too. Or maybe the wife.


Also I've been catching Dylan's Theme Time Radio Hour on Sirius/XM. I think this is fairly tight-scripted, but Zimmy does a pretty good job reading. He's funny, the facts are obscure enough, and the music choices are superb. The last show I heard he gave "his" meatball recipe after playing, of course, "One Meatball".


2009: more real-ism, more kicks, less shit. Sounds like a plan.

2 comments:

fat 'n sassy said...

you actually watched the "new" crap version of "the women"?????

haven't i taught you anything?

Unknown said...

The Host, it's a foreign flick - Tom, you remember him? the guy we never see because he's in lurrrrve? he took me to see that and it was so good.

Margot at the Wedding - Nicole Kidman is in it, but it is NOT a Nicole Kidman flick. Tust me, I LOATHE her.

Gonzo - it was pretty good. I am sure you have seen a lot of the footage, but it's good.

Burn After Reading - decent and weird, plus you can get Mrs. Googa to watch it because Brad Pitt & George Clooney are in it - but not in their "Ocean's" type character roles