Monday, November 24, 2008

Music Sucks


This past week I've seen numerous TV ads for the American Music Awards. I've always thought they were out-of-touch, since their creator Dick Clark has been out-of-touch since about 1963. The winners always seemed to be his showbiz "friends": Kenny Rogers, Diana Ross, Gladys Knight, Elton John, Cher - people who at the time had f#*k-all to do with what was happening in the music world (except for Elton, who just sucked, but was just plain unavoidable). The AMA's started at a time when Bowie was HUGE, Lou Reed had released "Transformer", Blue Oyster Cult was massive, etc, and who gets awards? Meat f#*king Loaf. Dick Clark had the 50s all sewn up, but as far as I'm concerned, he was a stroke victim as soon as The Beatles sang "yeah-yeah-yeah".


I digress - well, not actually, because the spirit of Dick Clark appears to still be alive and, well...


CHECK OUT THESE NOMINEES:


FAVORITE COUNTRY ARTIST: Garth Brooks (what year is this?)

ARTIST OF THE YEAR: Eagles (Is this watch broken?)


AND CHECK THESE WINNERS:


FAVORITE SOUNDTRACK ALBUM: Alvin & The Chipmunks - no f#*king comment.

FAVORITE ALT-ROCK ACT: Linkin Park - Alt? They're Limp Bizkit's illegitimate brother!


it goes on like that...


Man, just check out some of these other winners:


Chris Daughtry (he beat out COLDPLAY). Jordin Sparks. Taylor Swift. Carrie Underwood.


Do you see a pattern here? Aren't they all hooked up one way or another with American Idol or something?


Sorry. I do NOT populate my record collection based on those f#*king morons on American Idol, or any other shows of that ilk. Never have; never will. It's despicable, and anyone who doesn't see anything wrong with getting the soundtrack to your life from clueless TV judges honestly needs to get a f#*king clue about music.


Not sorry: I am a music fascist. I have spent my entire life (except for maybe the first 2 years) absorbing music, and where someone might have spot-on financial tips or can zero in on technology or anything else, I don't half-step when it comes to music. And when I see bullshit like The Jonas Brothers getting the breakthrough act award, shit that is so blatantly commercialized and whored strictly for fame & money (and yeah I know everyone wants money, but I pride myself on music for music's sake, period), well, I just wanna puke in their face.


I just have to say that Coldplay winning NOTHING is amazing. I used to like them; I don't anymore, & everytime I see a picture of Paltrow I hate them even more. But for them to get beat in every single category is unbelievable. The AMA's are like the 2000 & 2004 presidential elections.


And Dick Clark is the whole Bush family, with a speech impediment.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am left speechless - nope, guess I mistook an involuntary gag for voice loss.

THE EAGLES!?!?!?! THE ENTIRE LINEUP OF THE AMERICAN IDOL ALUMNI SHOW?!? What a sad, sad time in musical history for us to be rewarding Garth Brooks & the Jonas Brothers awards for mistaking their grooming techniques for vocal techniques. Gross. I wonder how many of those terrible raspy-voice faux-raock groups got awards, too. I can't even bear to look.